Sunday, February 27, 2011

Paperwork

February is coming to a close, and I have to say, it's been a rough one.  I have been dragging my feet on updating the blog due to the fact that I simply can't just write another post after the subject matter of the last one.  I've since lost a friend, gained a lot of support and have found out society is a lot better than I once thought.  Still, it is a loss, and to know the heartache others feel over losing a Husband or a Father or even a Grandfather... well... it just sucks.

You get caught in the game of time.  Time brings healing, but sometimes time brings guilt too.  Are you thinking of it enough, are you comforting others enough or are you too soon back in the day to day?  You have to find the balance of moving on with life, while at the same time taking time to grieve.  It is a strange dichotomy.

I have to say this time of year is tough enough as it is.  Taxes, paperwork, receipts, ordering supplies, it's all the mundane "stuff" that I have to do to keep the "business" running and the farm operating.  Funny though, because as I was sitting at the dining room table, I became distracted with the view and all I could do was think to myself, this would be a great photo for the blog.  ADD I know, but I did.  So imagine yourself doing taxes, ordering lambing supplies and organing paperwork while looking out this window and daydreaming of spring.  There are worse places to do paperwork I am sure of it.
Ella on the left, and our Moorit Rosalyn on the right
But, the good news is with the paperwork comes the best part of raising sheep; lambing season!  Four am barn checks aside, there is a constant excitment with March; from the anticipation of twins or even triplets, to what color the breeding pairs will produce.  Then after a few weeks, the flock doubles in size and soon enough we will have 30 some sheep running around Windy Knob.  This season is what I work all year long for.  And after playing the genetics game, you finally get to see which odds played out.  For now, we are still a week or so away before the first due date, but as you can see, the girls are round as can be.
Some very pregnant ewes waddling around the paddock.

 


2 comments:

  1. Marek, I am sorry for your loss. No matter how much a part of life death is it is never easy.

    Your sheep are beautiful and apparently warm and clean in their coats. I hope that by this time next year I will be ready to purchase a couple of young wethers from you. Time will tell.

    That view out your dining room window is picture perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We lost my mom in October. And you have put into words some of those same feelings I have had since (am I as good to others as they have been to me? Do I cherish the moments as much as I should? Am I kind? Concerned?) The first lambing without my mom to call and share the joy and heartaches with...

    Your sheep look good, Marek, and MAYBE I will finally really make it up for a real visit ;) Good luck with all the lambings, we will shear shortly and then the real excitement begins first part of April!

    ReplyDelete