Sunday, September 27, 2009

Pumpkins, Cider and... Colds.






Tis the season. Got to admit, I thought it was a bit cheeseball myself to put pumpkins on the front porch this time of year. Whats with that anyway? Like the pumpkins grew there on the porch, or the cornstalks wrapped themselves around the column phototrohpically? I mean is that supposed to look natural? Anyway, somehow I succumbed to the cheese and ended up with three tiny pumpkins on the front steps. But listen people, its different when you grew the pumpkins yourself. Watching them grow for the past few months, cutting the stalks, walking them across the farm and showing them off on your step... that's different. Sort of.







The season also brings a wide variety of colored leaves. Autumn is definitely my favorite time of year, watching the trees prepare for winter, all the colors becoming so vibrant, its really inspiring. But I'm saving the "fall color pictures" for a future post; right now the leaves are just starting to change. I have to wait for the full effect as to not wear out my fall colors spiel. However, I am eating as many Macintosh and Honey Crisp apples as I possibly can. I love picking them up roadside at the local orchards and nothing, NOTHING beats a local honeycrisp apple. Or perhaps thats just how exciting my life really is. Of course with apples comes cider and donuts. I've moved on from the summer lemonade to the fall cider. I think you should too.

Do not attempt to adjust your screen. That is a machine for shearing equipment. I recently took a class on how to shear sheep. Again, my life truly is that exciting. Anyhow, a couple of key notes: A) There are some weird sheep farmers out there. B) If I spend so much time upside down that I too hang my clock like that in the barn, that tells you something. C) Its amazing to find out things you never think about such as how the wool sweater you might be wearing came to be, and who might have shorn that very sheep; I may have met 'em.
I'll end with these two things. The garden continues to produce, and I can't begin to describe the feeling of heading out past the barn early in the morning, through the dense fog and unlatching the garden gate to pick out breakfast. This weekend I made a quiche (yes I had to look it up the first time someone suggested I make it) with green pepper, onions and a scallion from the garden using the ever so amazing Windy Knob Farm Fresh Eggs. Wow what a healthy eater right?
...
THEN HOW COME I HAVE THIS COLD ALREADY??? I couldn't even make it to October this year people. ugh. Tis the season I suppose.













2 comments:

  1. If it helps to sleep at night by justifying growning your own pumpkins to put them out...ha...you know you love it!! Am impressed!

    ReplyDelete