Sunday, September 20, 2009

Sunrise and Sunset

This was supposed to be the week to catch my breath. I feel like I haven't sat down since September started. School is well underway, you can tell by the stack of papers on my kitchen table, and I do mean stacks. I'm still trying to clear the fog of what I am teaching and when I teach it, and whose in what hour; all the "beginning of the year" shannanagans. The odd thing is school (work) seems like a small part of the day. Now I'm thinking of the jobs I have to do as I drive home. Move sheep, feed and water chickens, clean the eggs, label the cartons, harvest the garden, deworm the rams; I mean honestly, sometimes I don't know if I am coming or going.
Sunrises and sunsets. That's what came to mind. Being back in school, I am now up again to watch the sunrise every morning. I remember how much peace I find in watching it. Sometimes it feels like I am the first one or even the only one to watch it rise that day; what a great way to start the day. For me, its more important to start the day with a calm preparedness then a worldly awareness. And by not watching the news or catching the top ten plays on sportscenter, somehow... someway... I am more aware of my day.


I can't wait till (for)... I am trying to remove this from my vocabulary. The sheep have been on the farm for almost 90 days. Three whole months have passed! Thats a crazy perspective. Baka the cat, got him back in January but seems like yesterday. I don't want to live my life jumping from day to day where I am just looking for the next bookmark of life. By changing my thoughts to "I am excited for ..." (sheep shearing, lambing, fall color change, Christmas vacation so on) it reminds me that today is darn good too. Because if I live to get to said day in the "future," soon enough it too will just be a day in the past.


So not everything has to be deep and philisophical today. I'm going to end with a note about Ella. Ella is becoming my favorite ewe. She looks awesome, with big wool around her face, it almost looks like a lion's mane. She has a variegated fleece with these shades of chocolate brown and khaki where the sun bleaced the color out around her face. The thing that cracks me up is her personality; being the tough one of the group. She also has a crush on Drogo the llama and will follow him around the pasture pestering him. Just tonight though she was up at the fence of the back pastures, and calling out to the boys in the front pasture. While all the other girls were in the back eating, Ella is taking time out to flirt with the rams across the pasture. You could hear her calling out from the house. Cracks me up; chill out Ella, you need to at least play hard to get first!



1 comment:

  1. I really liked this one...I think a lot about some of the same things...as for Ella...playing hard to get makes you a tease...flirting keeps it innocent :)

    ReplyDelete