Sunday, November 1, 2009

The buck stops (and starts) here...


The colors are in their final stages. You can see here the final glimpse of yellows from the lone stand of aspens on the Western edge of the farm. Mind you this photo was taking in the 5 minute break from rain that has been falling throughout the majority of the week. A few changes were made with the sheep. The ewes are into their second 17 day cycle, which means you change the chalk color, and watch for any signs of being bred again. This is in hopes of being ready when the lambs are born, or at least having a window of when they might arrive. The young ram, Doherty and his mate, Nez Perce were moved up to the barn. This left Drogo the llama on his own. So he was moved to the larger pasture with the big kids. Another two weeks and the whole gang will come together (including the final two ewes from the other farm), and breeding season will have ended.


The fleeces that were shorn at the beginning of the month have been the talk of the town. Sort of. Maybe thats a bit overstated, but I have been pleasently surprised with the activity. When I called a wool shop in Traverse City, they knew who I was and the product that I am selling, "a lady told a friend who told so and so, and it got back to me" she said. Up until now I had sold one fleece at the Leland Fiber festival, leaving me with 5 others. I really pushed to advertise this week with ads on Etsy.com, a few phone calls, and some posters up at the local kiosks, and what do you know; I got a phone call from a wonderful Northport resident who came out to the farm today with her friend. They loved the sheep and were very impressed with how clean the fleeces were. I sold two fleeces! Then I checked email, and another buyer is interested in coming out from Traverse City. What do you know, there is a market when you have good product. The picture is one of the information cards that comes with each fleece.


The final excitement I have for you is the showdown between Drogo and an enemy. I thought about making this sound like an elaborate borage of fangs and claws, and a showdown where one dies; but I'll save the drama. Here's the deal. Drogo is supposed to be my guard llama, fend off any would be sheep predators. The only thing I have seen him do is stare down my dogs, and spit at the rams if they get to close to his food. Needless to say I was beginning to have my doubts about his security-ness. Well, I peered out to the pasture the other afternoon to see the sheep running frantically to the far corner of the pasture, and Drogo, creeping up towards the woods... what is it? I was waiting, watching, and out of the woods came this 4 point buck. Not that he was interested in eating my sheep, but at least Drogo helped to protect the could be danger. He squared up to him at the woods, exchanged a few words, and the deer was gone. So maybe he is going to pull through for me after all. Good job Drogo.

2 comments:

  1. Good llama. Out for a drive today and almost invited ourselves over but we were worried about the XXX sheep show!

    ReplyDelete