Sunday, November 29, 2009

Cold November Rain?

November is just about through, although you'd never guess it by looking around the farm. The blower is on the tractor, cutter put away in the barn; the Christmas lights are on and the chickens have a timer for "daylight" in the coop; yet even with all this, it still doesnt seem quite like the end of November to me without the snow. This time last year we already had school closings, 12 inches of snow on the ground and had I had done the driveway numerous times. I'm not complaining, I'm just sayin'.

The duties over the last couple of weeks included closing the gates of the pastures one final time. I had to bring the remaining sheep up from "pasture" and reunite them with the other two breeding pairs that have been separated for the past month or so. This included bringing Drogo the llama up as well. In order to do this I have to create an alley of temporary electric net to usher them from the pastures, up through the barn and out into the paddock. Things went pretty smoothly luckily. While all the sheep were up in the barn, we took the time to trim hooves and change jackets. It has been about 7 weeks now since they had been shorn and I was / am / (were for all I know) amazed at how quickly their wool grows back in. Clearly its not the 5 inches it was after a years growth, but certainly more than I had exepected, and surely enough to insulate them through the winter.

Of course it is the time of year to stop and remind yourself just how good (I'll speak for myself) I have it. I am truly blessed with an amazing job that I love (not to mention steady income and protected job) and on top of that I live in amazing house, with an amazing farm and some pretty darn amazing animals. While my trademark strength is my work ethic and drive, its also my downfall in that I don't stop to smell the roses so to speak. And with Thanksgiving, its a day to give thanks and appreciate all that one has been given. Though I missed visiting with my family this year, I was able to prepare my first turkey. The turkey was raised locally at a game farm in Mancelona, and 15 pounds - 5 hours later, and I was elated at how well it turned out. I'm not bragging, I'm just shocked! It worked! A turkey, 3 sticks of butter, the herbs in the cabinet, some potatoes from the garden and viola - turkey dinner. Once is luck, so check back next year to see how the turkey comes out. I might even be eating leftovers still at that point.
My turkey - celery, carrots, apples, herb butter-spread under the skin, and yes I did cook it too.

With even more goodnews, I would like to introduce Noah. With all the animals, there had to be a Noah here too right? Being that I had a few days off for the holidays (and yet - farmers can't travel, my parents love me alot but bringing 10 sheep, a llama, two dogs a cat and 40 chickens home with me for a few days- well, lets just say I don't think so) and with the time around the house I decided to go to the Humane Society to pick out a new cat. I've been blessd with this home, and I would love to share it with a cat who needs one too. Noah is 4 months old and already drinking with the dogs- I mean getting along with the dogs.

So here we go. October was busy, but November just flew by. Thanksgiving is just a memory now but to be thankful each and everyday is something I strive for. And now with December coming in just a few days, I don't imagine things will be slowing down any time soon. All the hoopla of Thanksgiving day sales, and black fridays, cyber mondays, shop shop shop. Ugh. Can't we just sit and enjoy the holidays any more? Good luck with your holiday endeavors everyone.


Evening sun sets on Windy Knob Farms.

1 comment:

  1. well said Marek. I am glad you apppreciate what you have.Dont ever take it for granted.

    ReplyDelete