Sunday, January 23, 2011

looking through a different light

The sun was out today, and sunshine always seems to bring out the best in all of us. I am no different. The funny thing is, I usually wait for the sun to come out before I make plans, however this morning I woke up determined to go out for breakfast, and had already decided I was going to take a drive through the countryside. It just so happened that as I was driving and making my way to my favorite breakfast spot, the sun began to shine. And shine it did.

It's still bitterly cold, don't get me wrong. The kind of cold where any exposed skin instantly begins to burn and not in the warm, beach kind of burn, but rather the lose your fingers, frostbite kind of burn. The weather had me rather confused actually. I wanted to get out and go skiing or get outdoors to take advantage of the sunny day, but then simply getting out of the car quickly leads to a deep rooted freeze that makes me appreciate the highest level "4" on the truck's heater.

When I drive it gives me time to think. I reflected on my excitement that its the last full week in January, I realized that much soon into the drive. With that however the sheep are going to start requiring more of my attention and time as we close in on the Ewe's final trimester of pregnancy.  The other day as I meandered up the driveway, passing the barn as I have a thousand times before, I followed my usual routine of honking the horn and stopping to have a look see at the sheep out chewing their cud. The wind may have been just right in that the sheep hadn't heard me drive up and when I honked the horn I startled quite a few of them who then quickly scattered, running in any random direction.  The flock quickly settled after realizing it was simply me that had startled them. Funny thing was, George was eating at the time and had decided to run straight ahead of him, as in going through the hay feeder. George ran himself halfway into the feeder and then began flailing trying to squeeze himself through the wood slats that hold the hay bales. This is only funny because its George, the young doopey ram lamb who is learning as he goes. If it were a pregant ewe I would have been jumping the fence to save her; double standard I suppose. George wiggled his way through, into the center of the feeder, only to then have to make it back out the other side. He isnt the tiny ram lamb he used to be, regardless of the fact his brain still thinks like one. A little shimmy and Im sure some sucking it in, George was back out in no time.  While sheep can have their annoying habits, I am thankful that their habits are just that, "annoying."  During my drive this morning, I came across a farm with these critters. One look at those horns and simply the size of these animals, and again, I'm glad I have sheep.

Grateful for the sunshine, grateful for the weekend, and I'd be happy to be grateful for a snow day if one happens to be in my near future.  Though I must say I'm quickly losing hope in getting one this season.

2 comments:

  1. Do you have the theme of names picked out for the next flock of sheep?

    ReplyDelete
  2. No theme yet, I have a few in mind but nothing has been picked yet. Presidents and first ladies worked out so well Im having the pressure to pick the right one now.

    ReplyDelete