Saturday, January 1, 2011

Waking up in the new year.

I'm not that old, really.  But you'd never guess it sometimes- particularly when the last thing I remember about New Year's Eve last night, was watching the football game and seeing that it was still only 10:15.   I dont think I even finished the thought of how am I going to stay up till... zzzzz.

But you wake up just the same as everyone that partied hard.  And you know what? It's still the new year just the same.  So Happy New Year to everyone.  I even hope to finish this post by 1:11.  1-1-11 at 1:11.  That and lose 15 pounds.  Like everyone else I suppose.

I also realize that this means Christmas break is about over.  I am lucky enough to get 7 days off at the holiday.  A nice break from students, and people in general.  Its tough being social and interacting with people all day long.  Usually I come home from work and am greeted by the three who run the house.  Milos, Ronin and the cat Noah.  They all run through the house and stop at the stairs waiting to greet me and get petted and stuff. 

However, I just got back from working with Gunnar, my horse who boards at the neighbors farm. I got home, come to the top of the stairs- still not a peep at this point from the animals, and I call for them.  Nothing.  I'm getting worried at this point. A) where are they and B) what have they gotten into that they wont even come and greet me.  But I soon realized that this is what happens when I'm home all day on vacation.  They dont care, they hear the door open and its like eh, I just saw you like an hour ago.  I realized this of course, when I got through the rest of the house and saw Ronin conked out on the floor sleeping, Milos in his usual spot- on the couch, and even Noah was passed out on the bed.  Gee thanks guys, good to see you too.

The weather has been crazy lately, warm, fog, snow melt.  I walked over to see Gunnar, and I noticed evern the Cherry Trees have received their spring triming-albeit a little early.  Not a bad idea to get it done a little early and out of the way.  Anyway, I went over to work with him on lunging and on a lead line.  Spent some time cleaning stalls, brining down hay and what not. 

 I got the halter on Gunnar and he instantly becomes aware that a training session is about to occur, which we have only had one other one in the last two months because of the weather of course.  So he was a bit of a brat and definitely a little rusty.  He wants to run away and be free of course.  Until I let him off lead, done with the lesson and begin working on the stalls.  Then he wants to hang out and stand right in the spots I'm trying to work in.  Animals are funny.  A bit weird even.  But  still are alot easier than humans.

The sheep are still fat and happy. Good thing they are only half way through pregnancy.  The warm weather brings a familiarity that only March knows.  And if they were a little further along Id be watching for some early lambs.   Nope.  Instead its just a big muddy mess out there.  I talk about the girls a lot lately, females of course get priority, but George is coming along nicely.  George is our registered Corriedale out of Johnny and Vera Lyn.  George is the dream Corriedale with his black nose and toes, clean pointed ears that stand strong and a great body size.  He was the ram I wasn't in need of, but just so darn good I had to keep him.  He was bred to three ewes this year, and now that he is 9 months old, Im getting a better idea of his size.  He is a good ram I tell you, Im looking forward to seeing his lambs in March.


George on the left, with Johnny in the background



1 comment:

  1. Marek, I enjoy reading your posts and am looking forward to visiting your farm after I finally get moved in late March or early April. I will definitely contact you before I come. :D

    ReplyDelete