Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Animals of the knob...

I have good intentions.  I start flipping through the pictures, the first few bring smiles and pleasent thoughts of reminising; but soon my emotions turn to awwww followed by sniffles.  I just don't know how to interpret all the various emotions I am feeling right now.  Just minutes ago I was outside, toes curled over the edge of the hillside overlooking the bay.  I thought to myself, last full moon here at the 'knob.   I continued to question why it is I am having such a hard time?  I knew it would be hard, but it's still all so confusing.  Ladies and Gentlemen, don't let me fool you, things could not have lined up better; its hard to argue against what seems to be fact; it is all just meant to be.  We did well, we quite possibly saved a magical place and homestead from being torn down and built upon.  We bought our first place together, learned to become comfortable with who we are (okay still working on that, he is still annoying sometimes... just kidding) we learned to be shepherds, ride a clydesdale and remodel every square foot of this place!  But alas, the chapter here has closed and it is time to move forward.   


But still.  It's difficult for me!  As I flipped through the pictures, I found some of the first animals to visit the knob.  I had already been keeping chickens for about a year when I came up with this great idea.  I of course couldn't just buy new chicks, I wanted to hatch and raise my own.  So, I built an isolated breeding pen for each species and set up pure breeding pairs.  Eggs, brooding hens and voila, I hatched my own chicks. 


 Of course there was Drogo, named after the parishiner of good shepherds, St. Drogo.  What a character.  Full of sas, but ever dutiful, Drogo was so patient with us as we learned our new roles as shepherds.  He fit in with the ladies, protected the energetic lambs and minded the rams the few times they had to interact.  Drogo was purchased along with the sheep.  They traveled together and now reside on their new farm in Wisconsin (Observatory Hill Farm). 

The original first 7 ladies of Windy Knob and their first night fall at the farm

Soon after the sheep of Windy Knob arrived in 2009.  A dual purpose sheep, they lived up to be everything I had expected.   A lot of lessons learned, lots of lambs born and a lot of late nights later, I wouldn't trade it for the world.  It's just funny looking back, as I even find myself going "wait you then did what? Ulicny what were you thinking?" 

No comments:

Post a Comment